Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Give Them the Breast


(Sarah at 2 weeks old)

        I receive so much satisfaction from breastfeeding my little one. I wish that all mommies had the oppurtunity to give their babies this wonderful gift. It makes me kinda frustrated when I see or hear of mommies that have the ability or oppurtunity to breastfeed and don't. Now, I'm not saying that I judge anyone, I just feel sad for the babies. The bond I have with my baby is so much more than I would have ever expected.

       I also feel disappointed in myself for not trying harder to breastfeed Carter. He was a preemie, and I tried and tried for about a week and then gave up the latching and simply pumped for him. I was able to provide milk for him for 8 weeks before returning to my job. My boss as the time was unsympathetic to breastfeeding and the possibility of pumping at work was never there. So maybe my frustration with the matter boils down to my own previous experience and my own breastfeeding failure.

      I am now on month 7 of breastfeeding and I plan on going all the way to the one year mark. I am soo proud of the mommies that made it to the 6 month mark.  It is sooo important to give babies the very best for their growth and development!

All I can say is, I am proud of breastfeeding my baby girl. It is one of my biggest personal accomplishments as a mommy.
(Sarah at 1 month old)

3 comments:

Amy Jo:) said...

I am so proud of you too! I felt the same way about Noah, wishing so badly I could have nursed him. I honestly did not think I would make it long with Andy and I ended up enjoying it so very much. I miss it at times, especially when he is sick and nothing comforts him. Keep up the great work!

Sam said...

I wholeheartedly agree!! You are doing an awesome thing for your little girl! Keep it up! (I hopped on over here from UBP). I am now breastfeeding my third little one(well, not so little, he's almost 13 months) and it is so rewarding every time!

Stephanie said...

So proud of you! Breastfeeding is a wonderful gift! I breastfed my older daughter until she was just shy of age 2 and am currently nursing my 13-month-old daughter.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net